Does anybody enjoy search result pages? No. Of course not! They want to get past it and into the content they care about. With that goal in mind, the search results page was a major focus of our platform redesign. Here, we'll focus on the individual result styling.
Over time, a lot of additional features and ideas had found their way into the interface, causing search results to feel heavy and unbalanced. Because of this, search results were no longer serving the ultimate goal of getting people away from search and into content.
As you can see from the image above, there was a lot going on for each result and you can imagine how that would look repeated 20 times. Now take a look at how we changed search results.
In the newly styled search result, there's a much clearer hierarchy of information. At the top is the article title, now the biggest element within a result. After that comes key metadata, like publication and author with labels, and then a second row of additional metadata, like date published and word count.
We took a lot out to make the result, and the page as a whole, more easily scanned. Some metadata, like publication city, was removed because it wasn't helping students evaluate whether they wanted to read the article or not. Other options like the ability to download, save, or view other library holdings of this document were taken out because of low usage.